Go to footer

08/08/2560 A.T. Back on the copperheart

08/08/2560 A.T. Back on the copperheart

Postby Midgard DM » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:15 pm

Special topic. Any member the coppercrew may post in this topic.

Rusty and her companion Ogre took good care of the fallen officer. During the trip wrapped in preserving linen, the rocking body of the copper-eared human had attracted some attention but no trouble.

After days of travelling the couple arrived at the area where the walking ship frequently raided.

A message bird had been send out prior and Suvei had taken but a small detour to pick them up.

As the ship came to a standstill next to the couple, ladders descended with orcs and trolls on them, ready to take the burden from the half-merfolk and Sten.

"Hey, fish-breath..." One of the trolls sighed to Rusty during the trip to the deck in a crude attempt to cheer her up. "... how be ya feeling? Who be ya helping hand?"
When you see the word "realism" in any Heimr discussion, please substitute "internal consistency of imagined world such that it abides by its own laws both implied and explicit, including laws such as 'elves exist' and 'magic works.'"
Midgard DM
Game Master

Re: 08/08/2560 A.T. Back on the copperheart

Postby Rusty Coppernails » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:26 pm

After some days of walking she was tired and out of energy, especially because she had a huge lack of the feeling so have someone familiar walking by her side. She had no opinion about the ogre, so she didn't see him as a friend as well. The past days the talkings had been about general things, but not too much personal, except for the time she had been talking about her bond with her father.

Seeing the Copperheart walking through the desert then was a great relieve for her. Dragging the carriage through the thick sand was taking even more energy away from her, but she got used to such kind of things quite quickly. Although she was tired, she started to smile a little and turned her head to the body of Faith, still lying on the brancard, now wrapped up, trying to not too much let the warmth ruin his already dead body.

"We're home at last, dad," she whispered.

Faith's body on the brancard was secured with some robe and pulled up. She herself did climb up to the deck, feeling her arms getting more weary every second. When one of the trolls tried to cheer her up with some unlikely words, familiar to her but still a little hard to think about it as nice sometimes, she nodded.

"I would really appreciate some help indeed. Tell the steersman to set course to the most nearby sea, he can use the maps in my cabin. I will accompany him as soon as possible, but first I need to talk to the captain."
Rusty 'Coppernails'
Navigator and officer of the Coppercrew.
Totemmaster on the Vortex.
Daughter of Hendrick 'Copperfaith', may he rest in peace.
Rusty Coppernails
Heimr Immortal
Heimr Immortal

Postby Wilco » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:13 pm

Met verwondering keek Sten naar het schip met de koperen poten. Het klonk vreemd genoeg toen Rusty er over had vertelt. Maar om het daadwerkelijk te aanschouwen was heel wat anders. Wat een prachtig gevaarte. Geen wonder dat zelfs Utgard elementaire magiërs op dit schip met rust laat. Een drang om het gevaarte beter te bekijken overkwam de jonge Ogre. "Rusty?" Vroeg hij aan het meisje naast hem. "Is het goed als ik even aan boort kom. Dan kan ik ook afscheid nemen van Hendrick, en ik zou graag even op kracht kunnen komen na dat geploeter door de woestijn. Dan doen we die betaling wel wanneer ik weg ga." Hier waren vast ook nog wel andere Ogres aan boord. Misschien dat hij nog iemand kende van de Brawls.
Ogres have layers. Standard HP + Body dev + heavy armor
Wilco
Lore Master

Postby Rusty Coppernails » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:23 pm

She looked back to the ogre and smiled a little, her eyes tired and a little blurry. "Sure, come on up. The crew won't mind. You're my guest if someone asks you."

While pulling herself up on the robes, she felt her arms getting more tired every second, and she was happy when she finally reached the deck. Looking around her, she smiled to some familiar faces, but she knew she was an officer and navigator again, standing here, so her smile wasn't as open as it always was. A little bit more cold.

Way to weak to stand about, she sat down on a bunch of tied up barrels and looked how Hendrick's body was already pulled up and layed down on the deck next to where the barrels were. She sighed. Good thing we're back again, I'm so glad this journey is over, she thought to herself. Although she missed the familiar sent of the forest on the Vortex, the warmth of the sand and the dry wind blowing through her hair made her feel like home more then ever.
Rusty 'Coppernails'
Rusty Coppernails
Heimr Immortal
Heimr Immortal

Postby Midgard DM » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:28 pm

"Steersman? Why you be telling where we be going? Captain Suvei tells that and she is the only one who walks da ship while it walks. Steersman we only be needing when the ship be swimming."

The troll was right ofcourse. As long as they where in the dessert Suvei had total control over the movement of the ship.

Rusty was allowed into the captains chamber immediately, the entire crew was informed of their arrival. Faith's body was dragged there as well.
The reaction of the crew was of course mixed. Gazthor, the late quartermaster and captain Suvei had always tolerated Hendrick at best, as the necessary balancing factor imposed by Ratish, but the human had made many friends during his time on the ship and those felt this as a stinging pain.
Some of the crewmembers sneered or smiled cruel smiles at the death priest as he passed, others nodded in respect. Rusty spotted at least one troll that had trouble hiding his tears and one of the orcs left the deck as soon as he laid eyes on the former second in command. A few seconds later a mighty cry of pain sorrow bellowed down from below the deck. Some orcs and even a troll or two joined this mighty roar but not all.

Rusty and Faith, flanked by two orcs carried Copperfaith into the captains chambers with the needed respect. In the dark, brooding chambers of Suvei, only lid by a few candles and filled with dense smoke of herbs that made the head light, stood two figures. The Tellurian Copperbeard and crosslegged, in trance, Captain Suvei. Ready to wake up at any moment.

Copperbeard strode forward though, his heavy stone foots slowly dragging his pain ridden body across the room. He lowered his head to meet Faith's and seemed to whisper a few words. "Tell me how he died Rusty. Tell the tale. The orcs will recite it among the crew, together with the stories of his life, both the good and the bad, as they wish, for the rest of the night. After your tale, Suvei will probably be awakened from her trance to deliver her last respect. She knows it is your wish to walk towards the sea... if she is in a good mood she might follow up on that wish."

Sten was forced to wait oppon the deck, not allowed in the lower regions of the ship, nor into the officer quarters. He only spotted one other Ogre, had not seen this woman during the brawl. Probably a tribe-less one anyhow.

"Fish-breath never be telling your name, Ogre. Be you to be trusted? You ad anything to do with da death of our priest-man, Vortex dweller?" The troll asked as a brooding crowd gathered round the young Ogre.
When you see the word "realism" in any Heimr discussion, please substitute "internal consistency of imagined world such that it abides by its own laws both implied and explicit, including laws such as 'elves exist' and 'magic works.'"
Midgard DM
Game Master

Postby Rusty Coppernails » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:47 pm

The moment the orcs carried Hendrick towards the captain's cabin, she stood up fast and walked alongside the brancard, accompanying them to the quarters they're heading. She saw many emotions during that short walk through the ship and all of them she could understand, even though she felt nothing but immense pride and love for the man who was her father. Arriving at the cabin of Suvei, she noticed the familiar scent of mixed herbs that made her tense shoulders a little more relaxed. Again a feeling of being home again.

She saw Copperbeard standing next to the captain and a little frown came to her already tired face. She looked the man straight into his eyes when he asked what happened.

"He died during the very last fight before going back to our homeworlds again, murdered by one of his own faction members. This weekend he became a faction leader of Ent, and someone didn't agree, that became very clear at the end," Her voice was filled with anger, but she remained calm, "I was to late to save him. I was told he'd got a present from the former faction leader, Fosco, a banner filled with the emotions of the faction itself. I can't believe this is the only thing that was in it, because after looking for more evidence, our general came to understand he was poisoned."
After a little break to get some breath and to hold herself together, in this moment of remembering all that had happened a few days ago, she sighed and looked to her feet. "After his death everyone mourned for him, a few paid their last respect and words to him. Then I personally took care of him, like he had wished, and send his soul to the almighty Ratish himself."

She proudly looked up again, her voice full of pride when she told this to Copperbeard, for she knew it was the only place he should be and will be for the rest of time. Remembering the strange dream she had the night before, she smiled with strength in her eyes, although they were a little blurry because of some upcoming tears. But she wasn't ashamed, because those tears were tears of joy.
Rusty 'Coppernails'
Rusty Coppernails
Heimr Immortal
Heimr Immortal

Postby Copperarm » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:58 pm

OC: Jullie posten te friggin' snel, hoe kom ik daar nou ooit tussen. : S

The ship started moving.

Suvei's eyelid twitched. Moving the ship didnt pose any challenge for her anymore and with a sigh she opened her eyes. The ship however kept moving stadily rocking forward and backward. She stood up and looked at Rusty, then at the body of the former high priest of the Coppercrew, then back to Rusty. For a very short moment her face showed sadness then as quick as it had come it was gone again and she looked all emotionless again.

"I wonder, if he would have known the end would be coming so soon... Would he have done things differently? Idiot... always was, always will be... Even though he is not part of the crew anymore, he was for many years one of the officers and a dear friend, although-" She paused "ah, nevermind, a dear friend."

She looked back at Rusty.

"So sit down, have a drink and tell us what it is you want to talk about."

The ship was still moving.

"While I bring you to the sea."
Copperarm
Event Master

Postby Wilco » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:30 am

Sten, nog steeds op het dek kijk in verwondering toe hoe de lange koperen benen van de Copperheart begonnen te bewegen. "Ik ben te gast bij Rusty. Ik heb niets met de dood van Hendrick te maken. Heb geholpen zijn lichaam naar jullie te brengen." reageerde Sten op de troll. "Ik en andere Ogres hebben Wana naar de vortex gebracht." De Ogre was zichtbaar afgeleid door het bijzondere schip. Hij kon het dan ook niet laten om even naar de rand van schip te lopen om de poten beter te bekijken. "Wow" zuchtte hij met verwondering in zijn ogen.
Ogres have layers. Standard HP + Body dev + heavy armor
Wilco
Lore Master

Postby Rusty Coppernails » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:10 am

The reaction coming from Suvei wasn't completely new to her. From the time her best friend Dwellit died she had been a very different woman then before. But she understood why, she had changed as well. The many deads of dear friends and beloved made her another person then she was before. More calm, thoughtfull and a lot less naïve. She knew more about the harsh world then before. And she was thankfull for that.

"Thank you," she sighed, and just sat down on the ground. The feeling of pain she had ignored of the past couple of hours came back to her legs and arms and her face showed some of it, although she looked up to the captain and Copperbeard with the same pride as before.

"I know he wasn't part of the crew anymore, but that nonetheless makes this ship his home. You both know why. And the reason I want to go to the sea is because that's where he belongs as well. I can't burry him here in the dry desert. He as well as his totem wouldn't agree with that." She looked at them one at a time, trying to find some understanding in their eyes.

One of the reasons she didn't tell them was that the closest sea from here would be the sea were her own merfolk tribe lived. Her mother would want to pay her last respect to him as well. She just needed to know. Her mother and she had talked and build up a better way of life down there at the bottom of the sea and so Hendrick would be on every place he could call home. And the only person who had loved him as much as she did was her mother.

"And someone needs to pick up the task of being the person who makes contact with Ratish, who can listen to prayers of the crew members. I'd like to be that person, if you don't know anyone who can do that task better then I can. I know I'm also the navigator of this ship, but now that I'm a totemmaster on the Vortex as well, I will be needing to make contact with the Spirits and 'other worlds' now and then."
Rusty 'Coppernails'
Rusty Coppernails
Heimr Immortal
Heimr Immortal

Postby Copperarm » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:34 am

Suvei looked at the young navigator while she spoke. Was this girl aware that she was trying to pick up three tasks that required full attention? Not one third of the attention one person could give? She tried thinking of other suited candidates. There was one orc on board who might be suitable... but Rusty was better by far. At the moment no other crewmembers came to mind, she would have to think about that later. And there was another problem with the proposal. Even if the girl would be up to the combined tasks Rusty would probably keep going to the Vortex, which ment she would probably die far before her time. There had been to many changes in officers lately, Eros had never returned from the Vortex. Sending a person with two important roles to the Vortex was to say it nicely plain stupid.

She sighed.

I won't deny that you are probably the best choice for that job but I see a lot of problems with it. However, we will be able to discuss those later. For now you should go rest, I can see that you're not only hurting mentally but also physically, it will take some time before we reach the ocean, so you have time.

She stood up walked over to Rusty and placed a hand on her shoulder. The hand was cold like a bar of metal but the energy flowing through it into Rusty's body was warm and soothing, powerful healing magic. Sore muscles relaxed and scratches or wounds that the girl still might have closed themselves.

That's about everything I can do for you for now... unless you require something else. If not you will take a rest and we will talk more later.

If Rusty does not require anything else Suvei walks back to her spot, sits down and goes on with moving the ship. She will start talking to Beard after Rusty leaves.
Copperarm
Event Master

Postby Rusty Coppernails » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:33 am

Er verscheen een lichte, begripvolle glimlach op haar lippen en ze knikte naar Suvei. Het was volkomen logisch dat ze dacht dat er problemen van zouden komen. Drie taken, die zwaar op haar schouders lagen, op haar nemen was niet zomaar iets, maar ze wist, zoals ze al had gezegd, niemand anders die de taak beter zou kunnen doen dan zijzelf. Zij was inmiddels de leerling geweest van de voormalige hoofdpriester van de Copperheart. Maar de kapitein had ook gelijk in het feit dat ze moest rusten, voor zover dat mogelijk was. De energie die ze door haar lichaam voelde stromen was aangenaam, zo tegenovergesteld als die van haar eigen magie of die van een andere priester. Ze werd er een beetje slaperig van...

Met spieren en ledematen die enigszins van hun last waren verlicht, stond ze op en keek Suvei en Copperbeard één voor één aan. "Thank you both for listening and for considering options, I will be in Faith's room if someone's looking for me."

Ze draaide zich om en met nog een blik op het lichaam wat daar doodstil op de brancard lag, liep ze de ruimte uit, het dek op en richting de bescheiden, maar voor de meeste grote kamer waar zij een hele lange tijd had verbleven toen ze nog geen belangrijke taak op het schip had te voltooien.
Bij het openen van de houten deur haalde ze even diep adem, sloot haar ogen en stapte toen naar binnen. Ze keek om zich heen, naar de leegte en enkele overgebleven voorwerpen die de kamer nog vulden. Het voelde zoveel leger dan het normaal voelde, en ze wist waarom, want er hingen geen hangmatten meer. Ze haalde haar grote rugzak van haar rug, net als de bijl en het zwaard. Ze had niet gedacht dat deze wapens beiden zo verschrikkelijk zwaar zouden zijn, maar ze voelde hoe haar rug bijna letterlijk zuchtte van verlichting toen het gewicht van haar rug was. Ze plaatste de twee wapens netjes naast elkaar in een van de hoeken van de kamer, waarvoor normaal de hangmatten hingen en begon haar tas uit te pakken. Het eerste wat ze pakte was haar eigen hangmat, die ze ophing aan de daarvoor bedoelde haken in de twee houten balken die vanuit het plafond naar beneden liepen. Ze spreidde de stof uit zodat ze er niet vanaf zou vallen en ging liggen, waarbij ze haar hoofd ondersteunde met haar armen.
Zwijgend keek ze de kamer rond, te moe om verder nog haar tas uit te pakken of te zorgen dat het er allemaal wat verzorgder uit ging zien. Ze wilde hier blijven, ze zou alle spullen die ze nodig had als navigator wel verplaatsen naar deze kamer wanneer ze daar de energie voor had. In deze energie, die zo bekend was en zo vertrouwd, zou ze het beste kunnen werken en zich terug kunnen trekken als dat nodig was. Het voelde écht alsof ze weer thuis was. Het enige was miste was de kalme stem van Hendrick die weer eens in zichzelf mompelde over wat hij allemaal nog moest doen.
Zonder dat ze het door had waren haar ogen dicht gezakt en viel ze langzaam maar zeker in een diepe sluimering...
Rusty 'Coppernails'
Rusty Coppernails
Heimr Immortal
Heimr Immortal

Postby Rusty Coppernails » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:05 pm

Het leek een seconde later, al wist ze dat ze minstens een aantal uren geslapen zou moeten hebben, toen ze haar ogen half opende en ze zich realiseerde waar ze ook alweer was. Ze voelde hoe ze gloeide in de kleding die ze aan had gehouden, ze had het erg warm en bij het pogen overeind te gaan zitten voelde ze haar hoofd tollen en haar spieren klagen. Ze knipperde een aantal keren met haar ogen en wreef er verwoed in, ze had zich nog nooit zo lamlendig gevoeld. Haar lichaam leek op geen enkele mogelijke manier mee te willen werken aan het opstaan. Vanonder de kier van de deur zag ze een zwak daglicht komen en ze had geen idee waar de zon inmiddels stond en hoe ver ze hadden gelopen.

Met enige moeite en een pijnlijke uitdrukking op haar gezicht liet ze zichzelf uit de hangmat vallen en rekte zich voorzichtig uit. Pijnscheuten schoten door haar spieren en ledematen heen, maar ze probeerde het te negeren. Ze trok haar kleding recht en hees haar kapotte schoenen wat hoger op, waarna ze naar de deur wankelde en deze opende. Na een aantal passen bevond ze zichzelf weer bovenaan de trap en snoof haar neus de frisse, prikkelende geur van zeezout op. Heel even bleef ze stil staan en sloot ze haar ogen, een briesje ving haar rode haren en het geluid van golven die op het hout uiteen spatten vulde haar oren.

Eenmaal op het dek beland zag ze dat ze zon hoog aan de hemel stond, maar ze wist dat de dichtstbijzijnde zee minstens een dag lopen zou zijn geweest. Dat betekende dat ze een middag en een nacht geslapen had en de ochtend voor het gemak ook nog overgeslagen had. Het verbaasde haar dat niemand haar wakker had gemaakt voor navigatie, maar schijnbaar had iemand anders deze taak even van haar overgenomen. Eigenlijk was ze daar wel blij mee, ze had nog steeds niet echt het gevoel dat ze genoeg gerust had.

Ze liep naar de rand van het dek en staarde naar het water, waarna ze even goed werd gewekt door grote spatten zeewater die door een uit een golf omhoog geslagen werden. Ze begon te glimlachen en snoof nog eens die bekende geur op die de woeste zee met zich mee bracht. Maar het werd tijd om voorbereidingen te treffen, als dat niet al lang gedaan was. Ze ging op zoek naar de kapitein of één van de andere officieren.
Rusty 'Coppernails'
Rusty Coppernails
Heimr Immortal
Heimr Immortal

Postby Midgard DM » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:15 pm

Rusty hoefde niet lang te zoeken. Aan de overkant van het schip stond Copperbeard over de reling geleund. Genietend van de ochtendzon, die hem afleid van het water onder hem.

"I was up all night. Listening to the orcs. Where where your thoughts? Why do you care so much about him?" The tellurian asked without looking up to the half-merfolk.

"He was our counterpart right? I never understood any of that, but it was Ratisch his will that he was here. He always tried to stop us from having a little fun with the Asgardians after a good fight. He always tried... but most of the time people just ignored him if he tried that. Not always though... I think I understand why Ratisch protected him on this ship... you remember that Gazthor once tried to strangle him? Locks told me that tale... Do you know why he wasn't able to do so?"
Midgard DM
Game Master

Postby Rusty Coppernails » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:19 pm

Bij het zien van Copperbeard en de vragen die hij haar stelde, verdween de glimlach weer van haar gezicht. Ze liep naar hem toe en ging naast hem staan, terwijl ze over het water uitkeek en in gedachten naar hem luisterde, tot hij klaar was met spreken. Ze leek even over zijn vragen na te denken, maar keek hem toen aan en sprak hem toe met een kalme stem, op dezelfde toon als de zie dag ervoor gesproken had, lichte trots was erin te vinden.

"I cared about him, and still do, because he was the only person who really cared about me," zei ze simpelweg en glimlachte lichtjes, "and not only that. There are many reasons why I cared about him. He took care of me, teached me how to live my life without getting into danger, without making too many mistakes, and be thankfull for being alive and on this world, because Ratish always watched us. He was my teacher, my friend, my father... he mend a lot to me."

Ze was lichtelijk verbaasd over het verhaal dat Copperbeard vertelde over het feit dat Gazthor hem een keer had geprobeerd te wurgen. Ze had er nooit over gehoord, misschien was ze nog niet op het schip geweest toentertijd, of had hij haar er nooit over verteld en was het gebeurd in de momenten dat ze er niet bij was geweest.

"I can guess why he wasn't able to strangle him," Ze grinnikte, "but please tell me."
Rusty 'Coppernails'
Rusty Coppernails
Heimr Immortal
Heimr Immortal

Postby Midgard DM » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:07 pm

Copperbeard remained silent for a while. Than his voice was loud and rough.

"Father?! Please tell me you meant that symbolic. Charmfull idiot. Could not keep his hands of anything with tits when he was drinking... or could it have been more this time?"

"I'll tell you the strangling tale if you tell your tale afterwards.... father..."

Copperbeard shifts his weight and turns his back to the sea, giving his back the pleasure of being warmed by the morning sun.

"He was right about the ever watchfull Ratisch. Cheeky bugger. Ghazthor tried strangling Hendrick once... not on the ship though, but on a different world. And it wasn't Ghazthor... not really... locks told me it was Chalkos. You know who Chalkos is right?... Chalkos was speaking trough Ghazthor and acting trough him to, as soon as he saw Hendrick he wanted to inflict as much damage and pain upon the man as possible. Locks dind't really got what was going on... he simply urged the other Vortexians around to move on because he dind't wanted to cause a scené but Chalkos didn't care, he simply wanted to squeeze the soul from Hendrick."

Copperbeard thinks and is silent once more. Probably trying to find the exact words Copperlocks had used.

"He told me it was as if Ghazthor was insane, drooling, bloodshed eyes, booze on his breath, inhuman strength, completely unashamed in front of any Vortexian and unafraid of harm to his own body... probably because Chalkos was in him, urging him. No crewmember interfered ofcourse. Most of them hated Hendrick with a passion and wanted nothing but see him death, preferably killed by somebody in charge like Ghazthor... But after a few seconds he released hendrick. Mumbling something about "Beeing unable to hurt him... and Hendrick being needed for balance of some sort." Ratish was watching over the situation. Hendrick was simply needed."

Copperbeard now turns to Rusty and looks her intensely in the eyes.

"Copperlocks never grasped the significance of it of-course. Dumb troll. But I did. And I wonder... do you? Did Hendrick taught you enough to understand? First answer my question about heritage... and than answer me this... Do you understand the significance?"

Rusty could only see Copperbeard his eyes and moving mouth now... fixated on the little girl, as if the whole ship around them had disappeared. Slowly drums started beating in the distance... where where the drums coming from?
Midgard DM
Game Master

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Caldera Wasteland