Go to footer

Veran

Post your first draft, and after that, get help from the heimr community to create a cool character and get it approved.

Veran

Postby Némo » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:00 pm

Veran (short for Verannia) Young female Elf.

Veran does not remember her parents, nor where she comes from. All she knows is Port Ossic.

Veran grew up within some sort of orphan thief gang, led by grown up humans. Teaching and using Children; mainly Humans, Halflings and gnomes. But sometimes, as with Veran elves. They teach them how to lie, steal and seduce. The shortcuts trough the always busy market in the city centre and how to quickly sneak on and off a ship in the port. They try to keep their “assets” dumb but did see the need in teaching them how to read, do math and to recognize special objects so their thievery would be worth more. Veran herself found she had a gift in throwing items which seemed useful during her thievery or escapes. Next to those skills she’s quite inexperienced. She has affection with magic as most elves but never had the opportunity to develop this to anything use full.

She doesn’t trust humans easy (this kind of goes for all races), not that you can blame her. But as a personality she’s not hate full against others and is willing to make new contacts. Just don’t expect her to tell the truth about herself or her past.

She acts all grown up and cold, she can take care of herself and will be rich and well know by stealing. But not so deep down she’s just a youngster who wants to be part of a family, not necessary elves, just a group who do not see her as an expendable asset but will care for her as one of their own.

Being able to read and living in a busy harbour city it was easy to get knowledge of the vortex. Collecting bit by bit with every job she got herself some small weapons and a light armour and ran.
She went to the vortex to pursue her dream of a family, although she’ll never admit that and say she’s all grown up and came to seduce, steal, be rich and well known.

Skills;
2 – Ambidexterity
1 – Literacy (reading)
0 – Numeracy (Math)
0 – Small weapons
2 – Light armour
2 – Recognize special objects
1 – Thrown weapons.

I’m still doubting about achery (3 points). I think it fits my Character, but I don’t have a bow OC, which is an investment, and it does cost me XP points I might want to spend on something else.
(7 XP left)

Future to learn;
3 – Weapon expertise
2 – Precision
These skills fit my Character very well.

Maybe I’ll learn magic, but, as I don’t want to play mage and to develop you’ll need a lot of EX I don’t think it’s the way to go. But it COULD fit with being elf etc.

Any way, it's my first Character in 5 years so I wanted to "keep it simple"
What do you think?
Némo
Poked its head through the portal

Re: Veran

Postby Midgard DM » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:42 pm

Wauw.

I am blown away by your ability to create a simple but interesting character within the framework of our closed setting, without any hickups, mary sueish characteristics, lore inconsistencies and with a realistic lifegoal tied to the Vortex. It is my feeling that it is better than my first Heimr character.

However I must warn you that most of the currently active characters are from southern Heimr and will kill you if they ever found out you where from Heimr.

Being a Midgardian Elf instead of an Asgardian Elf might mitigate this in the eyes for some rare southern Heimerians but not most.

However most(!) Southern Heimerians no longer see elves from other worlds as their direct enemies which your character sounds intelligent enough to understand and sneaky enough to employ. ;)

You are perfectly able and allowed to play this character, but you probably won't have allot of play with the rest of the Heimr people unless as antagonists (which could be very interesting). If you realize this than this character is approved in it's first draft (a rare occurrence!)
When you see the word "realism" in any Heimr discussion, please substitute "internal consistency of imagined world such that it abides by its own laws both implied and explicit, including laws such as 'elves exist' and 'magic works.'"
Midgard DM
Game Master

Postby Wilco » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:33 pm

Indeed a very good start! Brian has a good point though. Most Heimrians on the vortex are from races at war with the elves. That would make it impossible for this character to join up with any of the active groups on the vortex. And as an inexperienced LARP'er it might be good for you to join a group, at least at first so you can just check things out a little before you go out and do your own stuff.
Ogres have layers. Standard HP + Body dev + heavy armor
Wilco
Lore Master

Postby Némo » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:59 pm

Good thing Veran is a good liar then 8)

I do understand that might be an issue but I think I stick with her. it's growing to me now :)

I think I'll go with magic after all, Water still fits my character very well being a thief and seducer, but also for being an elf. I'll not use it as main characteristic but it fits me. and I would be able to "hide" it.
So I think I'll go with;

Skills;
2 – Ambidexterity
1 – Literacy (reading)
0 – Numeracy (Math)
0 – Small weapons
2 – Light armour
2 – Recognize special objects
1 – Thrown weapons.
5 - Mage spells A * Water*

2 XP left

Future plans;
3 – Weapon expertise
2 – Precision
3 - Mage spells B

But I'll stick with my "story" and I'll find some mage to teach me magic on the first event I go to and learn water mage spells A. I will have enough EX to do so, but It fits better with my story, also it gives me the opportunity to have a purpose straight away on my first event and meet some mages :)
Némo

Postby Némo » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:04 pm

Wilco, I understand your point, but as said before, it seems the war (mainly) is against elves of our world, not all elves.

Veran is not attached to elves (nor any other race) she'll fight and steal from elves as much as anyone else.
she is a seducer and a lair, I'll try to change it into "a elf spy might be easy for your troops no?"

She'll never be "part of the team" I understand that, but I might be able to do "business" with them non the less.

I'll get into that later, but I think I'll take my chances, it might be interesting to have some unknown character in between.
I think I should "start" off with finding a master to teach me more skills and by so I might be able to convince any races from Heimr I can be "usefull" as it's all Veran has known to be.
Némo

Postby Midgard DM » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:18 pm

I wish you all the luck in the world in playing this character and hope you have allot of fun. :)
When you see the word "realism" in any Heimr discussion, please substitute "internal consistency of imagined world such that it abides by its own laws both implied and explicit, including laws such as 'elves exist' and 'magic works.'"
Midgard DM
Game Master

Postby Snacky » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:29 am

This sounds like an awesome character to play, but, as a side note on all the 'from another world so not important that she's an elf', My ogre likes to eat all sorts of elves. the only safe elves are those that joined faction Phoenix (fire) because those are off limits, and those that get me on the floor first and are thus too strong. same goes for ogre Drugar.

I think you'll do better with the Woodgoat ogres then with the Wana-crew ogres.

I hope you'll have a lot of fun playing Veran!
She's too small to be a meal.. she's more like a.. snack! *Lindy*
Snacky
Heimr Paragon
Heimr Paragon

Postby nallath » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:46 am

And more of a game-ist hint; Recognize special object is rather useless unless you plan on going into crafting.
nallath
Heimr Demigod
Heimr Demigod

Return to Board index

Return to Character creation