Go to footer

Omakh the shaman

Post your first draft, and after that, get help from the heimr community to create a cool character and get it approved.

Omakh the shaman

Postby blazingeclipse » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:02 pm

Warning, wall of text. Seriously. I got a bit carried away. Have to do something with all that excess of inspiration and creativity that previously went towards plots.

Prologue;

"Ah, this reminds me of a good story!" the shaman proclaimed proudly.
"Not this again" one of the other ogres sighed, hardly suppressing a yawn. "Your stories are clever, shaman, but why don't you tell war stories?"
The shaman hit the commenting ogre with a large stick he carried around just for this purpose. "If I tell you a story, it comes from the spirits! You'd do well to listen. And if I don't tell war stories, that is because the spirits think you are a coward and not worthy of their tales." The other ogre rubbed his painful nose and muttered something under his breath. He could probably take the shaman in a direct fight, but he was, even though he hated to admit it to himself, somewhat afraid of the young shaman in front of him. So, instead he listened to the tale of the shaman, just like the rest of his unit that was gathered around the campfire, swallowing the insult of the shaman.

"You see!" the shaman started "Spirits are creatures of strength!". The shaman gestured at the ogres around the campfire "so it is natural that we help them, and they help us. We are creatures of strength too". The ogres nodded in agreement, ogres were strong and they liked hearing that confirmed by their shaman. "But strength is not all there is" the shaman continued, somewhat confusing his listeners, especially the new recruits who were not familiar with the teachings of this strange shaman. What else was there then being stronger than your opponent? As if reading their minds the shaman continued "Let me tell you this tale, and you will see what else there is, but strength."

The shaman took a large gulp of the skin with drink that was being passed around before he continued, his voice subtly changing, taking on a strange entrancing tone. The tone of a gifted storyteller. Slowly he adjusted his breathing, knowing that the ogres around the campfire would instinctively do the same, therefore creating tension and immersion. "I once saw a small otter, it would seem like any other otter. A bit young, cheerful, and it would probably make a good snack i thought. But I decided to wait a bit before capturing the otter, because there might be larger, more tasty otters around. I heard the chirping sounds of the other otters and from my hiding spot i saw a dozen otters gathering around the small one I first saw. And as I swear it happened, the other began chirping to the whole group. Just as we sit here, telling stories, so did this otter tell his. Never had an ogre seen this! An otter telling stories!" The ogres gathered around were amazed, normally they would have called the ogre telling such a story crazy or drunk, but you never knew with shamans. "When this otter was finished with his story, I quickly grabbed the otter and found out I had captured a spirit animal. The spirit hissed at me angrily, but I was not afraid, for I had his animal and he could do nothing. The spirit was small, as was the otter, but it was different from the others, I saw that at once. "So, you who tells stories to otters" I said to the spirit, "would you not like to be set free? " the spirit recognized in me a great storyteller, and made me an offer. I would set him free, and he would help me tell stories, great stories indeed! So there I was, with this otter spirit following me around and telling me all kinds of clever and cunning tales."

"So when is the interesting part coming?" the same ogre as before interrupted the story, breaking the trance of the shaman. Annoyed with is disrespectfull behavior he wacked him again, this time on the other side of his nose. A painfull reminder that the shaman was both cunning and strong. "Good that you ask, do you remember the Bear clan?" Many of the veterans nodded gravely, the bear clan had been a nuisance to this regiment, always rude and insulting, but they had strong warriors and their commander had forbidden them from starting a fight. "You see, they are strong because of their spirit, a great bear that smells lies! It lives near the stone of lies. You can tell nothing but truth there, or be killed by the bear". The ogres knew of this tale, many a trial had been fought there, many a dispute settled. "I grew tired of this clan's pride, but we could not start a fight. So I was clever" the shaman said with a smile. And with this, he had the ogres attention again, everyone in the circle would like to see that clan humiliated, and the shaman had proven in the past that he had a quick mind and a knack for cunning plans. The shaman realized that he had his audience back again and continued with his tale.

"I walked near the lying stone, but my clever otter was frightfull. "I am but a small otter", it complained," how am I to fight this bear? It is strong and tough, and it will smell lies in my tale for sure!" But I was not affraid, knowing the true weakness of this mighty bear spirit. "Do not be scared little otter. You and I, we will tell a tale that is true, but not the whole truth". The otter quickly understood what I meant after I explained my plan. Humbiliy it crawled to this mighty and powerful bear. Showing its belly and carrying with him a small flask. "Great bear" it said "I am but a small otter, and you a great mighty bear. I want but to pass trough your lands and not be harmed. I tell many lies for my stories, but I will not lie now, you are a great spirit, and I have brought you tribute". The bear smelled no lies on the small otter, for it was not lying at all. It had brought tribute to the much stronger spirit. Quickly he grasped the flask the otter presented and opened it, smelling rich tasty honey. Within moments notice the greedy bear quickly ate most of the delicious honey. Right at that moment the otter jumped up and quickly ran towards the spirit beehive from which he had stolen the honey. "Come quickly! Come quickly!" the otter chirped exitedly "I have found who stole your honey!" the bees buzzed angrily and stung the mighty bear many times. The bear could not fight bees, because they were nible and fast and stung him over and over. "Otter! you deceiving creature!" the bear howled in pain. "Tell me how to get rid of these bees!" The otter smiled, and, as part of the plan, simply told the bear; "I will, if you serve Omakh the cunning shaman!". The bear howled that he would never serve me, and the otter replied that he would never be free of bees. Finaly the stuborn bear agreed that he would give me a boon, something he would do for me in the future, and the otter swam away. The bear jumped in the water, finally being freed of the bees."

The shaman smiled, a sparkle in his eyes. "Lets see how proud and strong this bear clan is, now that their spirit now serves me!" All the ogres laughed out loud, looking forward to seeing their hated enemy being humiliated, and that without breaking the command given. They all agreed, sometimes it was better to be cunning.

Omakh the shaman
Omakh is a shaman who encourages cunning and strength instead of only strength, believing that only strength is making the ogres weaker than they should be. He has quite a bit of spirits following him, but they are all rather weak, instead of the more comon method of having a few very strong spirits following him, omakh believes that having a lot of spirits gives him more versatility and makes it difficult for rival shamans to steal his power. Omakh is a storyteller and loves to tell stories about spirits, clever tricks he played and ancient ogre tales. He currently is part of an utgardian command where he serves as a battle-shaman.

Omakh was first spotted by the village shaman as a potential apprentice when he claimed having spoken with inanimate objects in his dreams. Omakh was a rather weak ogre, barely making it in the brutish harsh environment of a young ogre. In that respect, his vivid imagination that made him a possible shaman may very well have saved his life. Not that the training to be come a shaman under his master Yegoll was anywhere near easy, but this was strain on the mind and not so much on the body. Omakh is by no means physically weak, but he is on the weak side of an ogre and competition among young ogres is literary killing. He proved to be a capable pupil, especially capable in telling entrancing stories rousing strong emotions in it's listeners. His tutor Yegoll was worried tough, as he interacted with the spirit realm as if he was part of it, instead of having a bit caution for the dangers lurking past the veil. The young ogre could simply not be made to listen, and returned with his first spirit well before he was considered capable enough to be sent on a spirit quest.
Omakh prefers to either trick or persuade spirits to help him, resorting to threats or direct assaults only when all other options have been exhausted. The spirits he has attracted, as a result, are generally not very violent or the most proficient in direct confrontations.

One of the main flaws of Omakh, which other shamans think is a dangerous characteristic, is his too intuitive interaction with the spirit world. On the one hand it has served him well in the past as he quickly understands spirits, but sometimes he has difficulties seeing the difference between the worlds, and in his mind this distinction is sometimes wholly absent. This is most clearly observed in the fact that he created a spirit simply by observing an otter. In Omakh's mind the otter was always there, but this was only true for the physical world, not the spiritual. Sometimes he can be observed to (especial if he is distracted or tired) be talking with spiritual entities as if tough they were in the physical realm, without first slipping into the protective shamanistic trance other shamans think is required to shield ones mind from harmful influences in the spiritual realm.

Spirits and spellcasting:
note, since the nature of spirits is not yet set in stone, this will probably not be the actual and objective truth. This doesn't really matters since Omakh believes this to be the truth anyhow.

Omakh has two spheres, namely mind/knowledge and nature/creation. The shaman draws his priest magic from spirits who owe the shaman somehow, and in some cases allied friendly spirits that accompany the shaman. The shaman spends mana and asks the spirit to create the desired effect. There is also a bane associated with each spirit, altough the rules of VA do not require this, I feel this represents the nature of spirits better, as Omakh cannot do certain things if he wants to appease his spirits. If he does things that go against the nature of the spirits they will no longer help him. Furthermore, the background of his spirits is far more elaborate than needs be, but spirits are an integral part of a shamanistic background, and I have lots of ideas. This are by no means -all- the spirits that Omakh knows, but these are the ones he can draw on reliably. Other less familiar spirits require rituals to be summoned.

This does not represent how strong each spirit is, but how strong Omakh's connection to that spirit is. Tells-stories-to-otters is not twice as strong as say, Smells-lies. He does, however, have a stronger affinity for Omakh and will therefor be of much more use.
Tells-stories-to-otters, level 2 (facinate & charm animal)
Smells-lies, level 1 (detect spiritual influence)
Unnamed water spirit, level 1 (clear mind)
Makes-a-path, level 1 (freedom of movement)

order knowledge
Facinate (Tells-Stories-to-Otters):
This spell originates from one of the first spirits omakh befriended, Tells-stories-to-otters, a otter spirit omakh created himself on accident by observing a youg otter who was chirping to the other otters. Omakh tought the otter was telling the others a tale, and thought the acociated spirit would be a storyteller like himself from which he could learn many stories. In truth, omakh projected his emotions that he had when telling stories into the spirit realm and this otter. On accident he also named the spirt "Tells-stories-to-otters", thereby shaping the otter spirit and naming it. Omakh did this when he was but an apprentice, and the otter spirit has followed Omakh ever since and is one of his closest friends. This is as close as any spirit becomes to being a totum for Omakh.
Tells-stories-to-otters is a cheerfull, curious and crafty spirit with an extensive knowledge of stories. The stories usualy aren't true, but are interesting none the less. Tells-stories-to-otters likes being more clever than others and having his stories told (or stories about his cleverness), he is also rather intelligent and sociable, but is a rather weak spirit if it comes to a direct confrontation. Tells-tales-to-otters tries to outsmart his oponents and failing this runs and hides. Both of these are skills in which the otter excels. Appeasing this spirit comes natural to omakh and this spirit is the least likely to leave omakhs side.
Bane: Tells-stories-to-otters does not like if Omakh refuses to tell a tale when asked to do so. Tells-stories-to-otters also likes to learn new stories, but this is more a preference, not a bane. Refusing to tell a tale when asked results in Tells-stories-to-otters refusing to help Omakh for a full day, thus leaving Omakh without the fascinate spell. Tells-stories-to-otters can also be coaxed back into service if Omakh tells a story to a willing person or (preferably) a crowd.
Spell: Tells-tales-to-otters knows exactly how to tell a story, as he was created as a storytelling spirit by Omakh. As a result, Tells-tales-to-otters can utterly capture someones attention if he enhances the tales Omakh tells. This synergy between tells stories to otters and Omakh is nearly unheard of in shamanistic circles. The teacher of Omakh disproves of Tells-stories-to-otters as Omakh allows the spirit to directly influence his tales to make them more enticing, which a lot of shamans think is dangerous. Omakh trusts Tells-stories-to-otters and therefore paid no heed to his mentors wise words. The end result is a story which is neither wholly Omakh's nor wholly Tells-stories-to-otter's, but near impossible to ignore.

Detect spiritual influence (Smells-lies)
Omakh can call upon the bear spirit of Smells-lies to detect lingering spiritual influences on places and objects. The bear spirit has a incredible sense of smell and can use this to discern the true nature of spiritual energies. Smells-lies is a bear spirit tricked into serving Omakh with the help of tells stories to otters. The two spirits do not like each other, Smells-lies dislike the little otter spirit for outsmarting him (although he deep down admits he was defeated) and being a coward and telling so much lies. The otter spirit thinks Smells-lies is a stubborn brute who does not know when to fight and when to run. Smells-lies serves Omakh a bit reluctantly, but honors his agreement with the otter spirit. Smells-lies was originally a spirit bound to a large stone statue of a bear that the surrounding ogres believed to be able to detect lies. It was used to discern the truth of certain statements, and oaths sworn near the stone where considered to be unbreakable. The bear clan (a rival of the command Omakh is attached to) controlled the lying stone, as it was called, in recent years and worshiped smells lies. However, they did limit access to the stone which annoyed Smells-lies. Smells-lies still retains a strong connection to the statue and is much stronger there. The bear clan saw Smells-lies more as a proud warrior spirit, which has changed him somewhat, making him stubborn, a bit grumpy and more aggressive if provoked. Smells-lies himself always tells the truth. Smells-lies is a quite old spirit, and therefore has a rather complex characteristic, as remnants of old beliefs and emotions that were once associated with him still remain as a trace amount in his essence. Smells-lies is sometimes difficult to predict and prone to mood swings (usually tending toward grumpiness or berating behavior if he smells to much lies to his liking) and will sometimes pick fights with other spirits, although this is more a result of the militant image the bear clan had of him.
Bane: Smells-lies -hates- lies and liars. He gets grumpy when he smells to much lies, but he knows that Omakhs loyalty towards Tells-stories-to-otters is so great that he cannot prohibit the shaman from telling lies alltogether. However, if Omakh swears he is telling the truth, or swears an oath, smells-lies-will-keep him to this oath, as if the oath has been made near Smells lies birthplace, the lying stone. If Omakh breaks such an oath, smells lies will try to hinder Omakh as much as he can, even tough he cannot leave the shaman due to his oath of servitude. As a result (and depending on the gravity of the oath broken) Omakh cannot cast the detect spirit spell after he has broken an oath. Smells-lies only forces Omakh to the literal wording of his oath or statement, a result of another clever trick played by Tells-stories-to-otters.
Spell: Smells-lies will, if asked, search the spirit realm for the truth about a certain place, object or person. Smells-lies will usually return with some information about his target. Smells-lies simply uses his keen sense of smell to find the things that are true about the object. If needed, smells-lies will even converse with the other spirits that help Omakh (although in the case of Tells-stories-to-otters a bit reluctantly) to find out what it is that he has found (this represents that detect spirit works better if it is a spell you yourself can cast).

Clear mind (no name)
This spirit inhabits a source of clear water that Omakh discovered when under the influence of shamanistic drugs (hallucinogen, some sort of mushroom or something, not to familiar with the Heimr drugs). He drank from the source after he saw in his visions that this water was so pure that it could not be befouled. His influenced mind immediately cleared while not removing the effect of the drugs themselves, somehow better merging its effects with Omakh's mind. Omakh then conversed with the spirit of purity that took shape before his eyes in his vision. The spirit appeared to be nearly completely transparent and no foreign containment could touch her pure form. The spirit is a beautiful (although not to ogre standards, Omakh had to admit that the spirit somehow looked beautiful and attractive) and calm, almost serene. She is a spirit that was not very active, except for keeping her source clean, and all those that drink from it. The is usually content with enjoying the beauty of all that emerges from the source, such as the waterfalls and the rich flora and fauna that rely on its water. When Omakh discovered this spirit a group of Tellurians had left her environment in quite a bit of waste as they had rerouted the course of the river that sprung from the source to better extract the precious metals in the mountain nearby. Omakh convinced the Tellurians to dig elsewhere with the help of both tells stories to otters and smells lies, by uncovering that they had been sold a faulty map by an Orc looking to make some quick money. He then spent considerable time helping the river spirit purging her surrounding from the signs of industry left behind by the party of Tellurians. Omakh's spirits also pitched in, with Tells-stories-to-otters recruiting animals to help their cause and Smells-lies helped by locating all the impurities by smell. Makes-a-path, a boar spirit that is also allied to Omakh helped by rerouting the flow of the river, back to its original course, after having been convinced that this was a more efficient flow because the river spirit would perform better because she'd become happier.
Omakh suspects that this spirit was originally "created" by a bunch of shanatra who visited the clear water source in the past and used the stunning surroundings as a place to meditate and get (back) in touch with nature. She has never selected a name for herself, and Omakh has not yet given her one, simply referring to her as the spirit of the source or purity. This is to vague to be a name for a spirit, but the spirit herself seems not to be bothered by her lack of a name. Perhaps in the future she will take on a name, if that happens it is likely it will be something like purity (zuiver of zuiverheid in Dutch)
Bane: This spirit does not like anyone befouling something pure, in any form. This can be in the most literal form of water or land, but may easily take the form of souls, innocence or even a white peace of cloth. If Omakh sullies something pure, this spirit will no longer help him, unless he restores something tainted or corrupted (of the same order of magnitude or larger) to its former purity (this may very well be the same Omakh tainted in the first place). This effect only takes place if Omakh consciously makes the decision to sully something. This spirit does not make distinctions between good or evil. Pure evil or darkness is also desired thing for this spirit. Strangely enough she does not disdain the use of drugs by Omakh.
Spell: The river spirit has said that Omakh has a clear and beautiful mind after Omakh meditated near the spring, and has pledged her assistance if he ever needs to return to this state of mind (also, as a debt repaid, Omakh had restored her glade to its purity and removed the taint). He carries a bit of water from the spring with him, because the river spirit has asked if she might travel the world with him, looking for other beautiful pure pockets of nature. Furthermore, this helps Omakh summon the spirit to his aid if he for some reason needs to restore something else to its purity, although this requires a ritual.

Nature/Creation
Charm animal (Tells-stories-to-otters)
Since Tells-stories-to-otters has been Omakh's faithful companion ever since he first met the otter spirit during his apprenticeship the two have become very close to each other. Omakh has performed a number of rituals in honor of his friend, and he feels quite strongly about Tells-stories-to-otters, which has further strengthened the otter spirit. What also helps is that Omakh trusts Tells-stories-to-otters fully (this is also a result of the fact that Omakh created Tells-stories-to-otters, the spirit would be hard pressed to betray Omakh) and allows the spirit to act on his behalf rather autonomously. The spirit has also matured quite a bit since Omakh created him, having changed from a rather simple playful trickster spirit to a more developed personality.
Bane: Tells-stories-to-otters doesn't like it if he charmed an animal and the trust the animal has placed in him turned out to be misplaced. If Omakh betrays the trust (by killing the animal for example) Tells stories to otters will not likely charm another animal soon, and Omakh cannot cast the charm animal spell for a whole week. This bane is not provoked by lying, deceiving or playing a trick on the animal that has been charmed, as the otter is and remains a cheeky little fellow.
Spell: Tells-stories-to-otters is a silver tonged litter critter indeed! There are few who can resist the friendly words uttered by the likable otter, and he rarely fails to charm animals, assuring that their friendship should also extend to his friend Omakh. After he has won the animal for him, he functions as an intermediary for Omakh and the charmed animal, enabling the shaman to communicate with the creature with Tells-stories-to-otters as an interpreter.

Freedom of movement (Makes-a-path)
Makes-a-path is another animal spirit. Some shamans have commented on Omakh's large amount of animal spirits, as most shamans favor a balance of spirits from different origins (locations, institutions, groups, animals and objects) but Omakh thinks this is not necessary, as he thinks there is no really distinction between such spirits, except for their heritage, and treats them all the same. The larger than average amount of animal shaped spirits that follow Omakh can be attributed to Tells-stories-to-otters who is quite adept at attracting animal spirits and Smells-lies whose predatory instinct and excellent sense of smell are quite well suited to track down animal spirits. This is also how the unusual duo of the otter and the bear encountered the boar spirit called Makes-a-path.
Makes-a-path was based around forest filled with boars, and an Utgardian tracking command tasked with finding suitable roads, paths and methods to move military troops and supplies if the need arose. The forest filled with boars was the creation place of the spirit, but only after it started following the scouts did it truly become defined. Makes-a-path is a straightforward spirit, always trying to find a more efficient route or method to get something done. Since it started following the scouting party it also become more attuned to logistic problems on a more complicated level, increasing it's intelligence and elevating if from the level of a simple plough creating paths trough the underbrush to a logistics expert in its own regard.
Makes-a-path likes to do things as efficient as possible, but dislikes an overly theoretical approach to increase efficiency (a result of the practical approach of the scouts frequenting the forests looking for either paths and trailblazing for armies). The spirit was tracked down by Omakh because the command the shaman was part of required it's expertise to create several supply lines, and optimize existing ones. The Tellurian commander also suspected that the spirit would come usefull if his command ever needed to move quickly. With the help of Tells-stories-to-otters the shaman was able to convince the spirit to help his command, by tempting it with all kinds of sub-optimal solutions that where commonplace within the command. Combined with the not so subtle nudges from Smells-lies who tracked Makes-a-path relentlessly, no matter how efficient its path became, the spirit finally yielded and agreed to help. The spirit was in the end convinced that helping the shaman was the most efficient course of action, as the forest which he inhabited was already quite near optimal, and his efforts would only marginally increase this.
With the help of the spirit Omakh was able to significantly reduce lags in supply runs and increase the coverage of scouting missions. The spirit seems to have taken a liking to the young troll in the same squad as Omakh, having observed her quite frequently on scouting missions to asses effectiveness of the scouting division of the command. Since the scouts of the command have since adopted this spirit as their patron spirit, the spirit thinks rather fondly about all the scouts in the command as he likes their practical mindset and their ability to find (and make) the right paths. Makes-a-path has since being adopted as patron spirit of the scouts also developed into a guide who next to making path can also localize existing paths and he knows all kinds of information about these paths. This includes both spiritual and physical paths. Scouts of the command that have lost have since reported being guided back into known areas by a strange boar, further strengthening the belief in Makes-a-path.
Makes-a-path also likes direct military assaults, however, this sometimes conflicts with his obsessive strive for efficiency, as a direct assault might sometimes cost many soldiers their lives, which isn't very efficient at all. This paradox troubles the spirit greatly, and Omakh has had problems sorting this issue out. The problem is that this worrying actually reduces the efficiency of the spirit, thereby going against its nature. This is possibly a risk for the existence of the spirit, as it could very well implode on itself, or split into two different spirits to resolve the paradox.
Bane: Can't really think of a good one right now, probably something to do with lack of efficiency or hindering someone who is clearly doing an efficient job.
Spell: Makes-a-path is difficult to stop once it has set it's mind on a certain goal or destination. In fact, its nearly impossible to do so, unless something utterly unmovable gets in the path of this near unstoppable force. Where Makes-a-path goes, there is a path without restrictions where those who know how to find the path, walk without obstructions. Luckily for Omakh, makes a path needs little in the form of encouragement to ensure that Omakh walks somewhere without being impaired, resulting in Omakh being under the freedom of movement spell.Makes a path creates a path in the spiritual realm without blockades that can be followed. Unfortunately it is very difficult to find the path in the physical realm that has been made by Makes a path in the spiritual realm. Another shaman might be able to follow this same path by provoking Makes-a-path obsession with efficiency (after all, two people following the same path is more efficient). Makes-a-path can sometimes make a path that is even more efficient then physically possible, resulting in extremely fast traveling. Invoking this aspect of the spirit requires Omakh to perform a ritual to goad Makes-a-Path to create such a pathway, and is rather exhausting for the spirit.

Natures disguise (Graves lost to fire)
Graves lost to fire is a rather strange spirit. A prime example of what shamans like to call a "covenant- or hive spirit", this spirit consists of many different spirits that have somehow merged together to form a single entity. In the case of a dual spirit this can happen if two fighting spirits turn out to be equal matched, and instead of the winner absorbing the loser they merge into a single spirit. This is a rather rare occurrence and usually only takes place if the spirits where rather close to each other in concept and emotional base. Another possibility is changing beliefs of large groups of mortals, who somehow change their perception, now seeing a few spirits as a single spirit.
The formation of Graves lost to fire is a direct result of such a change in belief and a rather traumatic experience. It all started with a group of tree worshipers who planted a forrest and started attributing certain personalities to each tree as it grew. Furthermore they buried their dead among the roots of the trees, so that the strength of the dead would not vanish, but be absorbed by the trees. This created a forest full of small tree spirits that continuously tried to absorb parts of each others strength.
Disaster struck when a huge forest fire burned most of the tree-worshipers and all but one of the spirit trees. The desperate spirits all fought to inhabit the last remaining tree, and in their death-trows the tree worshipers tried to save this last tree and hoped it would be a sanctuary for all the spirits. In the end, the many spirits that had survived merged into a single entity called Graves lost to fire, as was the dying wish of a great many tree worshiper.
Omakh was sent into the forest years later to find the source of the many ambushes taking place in the now burned forest. Omakh volunteered for the task, as he suspected spirit involvement as the perpetrators vanished without a trace after the ambushes. The survivors swore that the attackers simply appeared from the forest, only to disappear after the battle was done. The unit Omakh was accompanying was ambushed by the tree worshipers as they believed the fire was started by outsiders. The fire was in fact started by a unit of Asgardian fire mages looking to disrupt logging operations they suspected where taking place in the forest. Even tough the tree-worshipers were outnumbered and badly equipped, Omakh's unit failed to win a decisive victory due to the efforts of many-as-one who helped the tree-worshipers escape by veiling their presence.
With the help of Smells-lies and Makes-a-path the shaman was able to reach the single unburnt tree in the center of the forest. Omakh quickly realized that this was the place where the spirit was located and sought to contact the spirit to find out why it was so hostile. Some of the members of this temporary unit opted to simply cut down the tree, but Omakh forbade them. Both because he believed he could persuade the spirit to stop attacking and because he could not destroy this single untouched and pure tree without upsetting his water spirit. Instead, together with Tells-stories-to-otters, Omakh told a beautiful tale of redemption and vengeance, of rebuilding and becoming greater then ever. A tale of what might still be, and the single step required to start this process of recovery. The shaman could travel the lands and replant the forest, creating room for the strained spirit, taking pressure of the last tree. He concluded his story with a beautiful remark suggested by Tells-stories-to-otters; "In the end, all will turn out to be well. If it does not yet look well, it simply isn't over yet". This message brought tears of sap from the bark of the tree, and many bounties of the forest in the form of seeds and fruits fell from the tree. Omakh gathered these and pledged to seed them on appropriate places. Omakh had won the spirit as an ally with his tale, and ended the ambushes plaguing the supply lines of his command. This pleased Makes-a-path greatly, as he was becoming rather annoyed with the decrease of logistic efficiency.
Bane: Whenever Omakh arrives at a new destination he must plant a seed from the tree that inhabits Graves-lost-to-fire. This will split off one of the spirits that are part of the central hive, but this has no direct effect on the usability of the spirit for Omakh, as the newly split of spirit will still help Omakh if able and will still retain a strong link to the collective. If Omakh does not plant such a seed within an hour upon arriving on a new location, the spirit will no longer serve him until he plants the seed in a suitable location.
Spell: Due to the many spirits that are a part of Graves-lost-to-fire, the spirit can overlay different images over the actual apearance of Omakh, making him appear to be a part of the fauna he is standing in. Graves-lost-to-fire isn't very strong outside the burnt forest, but is slowly getting stronger after each seed Omakh plants, as the strain on the unburnt tree is slowly decreasing.

view on other notable characters and groups;
Command: It is a good command. I wonder why there is no wooden goat spirit yet. Telling more tales about the wooden ram could attract it. It would be nice to converse with it.
Commander: Capable and cunning. Values and respects strength as it should be valued, but doesn't forget to think and plan. I like that. Strange sense of honor, even tough it's not an orc.
Roos: ??
Arjen: ??
-Arjen's spirits: ??
Grismar: ??
Ravadiana: Makes-a-path seems to have taken a liking to her. I should ask him why, I get the feeling there is something special about her I have overlooked.
Brada: His father played a cruel joke on him. Teaching how to invoke the spirit, but not to communicate with it. Probably to keep Brada under his control. Not the sharpest tool in the shed, but dependable. Good listener too, that is a nice trait.
-Blood-roller: I suspect that this spirit has been forcefully bound to Brada by his father. Crude. The connection could be improved perhaps?
Last edited by blazingeclipse on Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:44 pm, edited 10 times in total.
blazingeclipse
Heimr Demigod
Heimr Demigod

Re: Omakh the shaman

Postby Wilco » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:40 pm

owwww, me like. Waarom is het in't Engels?
Ogres have layers. Standard HP + Body dev + heavy armor
Wilco
Lore Master

Postby blazingeclipse » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:06 pm

Omdat rachel in dezelfde groep speelt! En ik een creative surge had en alleen een engelse spellingchecker in mn browser had zitten.
blazingeclipse
Heimr Demigod
Heimr Demigod

Postby blazingeclipse » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:55 am

Verder geupdate. Commentaar en opmerkingen welkom!
blazingeclipse
Heimr Demigod
Heimr Demigod

Postby Copperarm » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:54 pm

Holy shit dude! Moet jij geen schoolwerk doen ofzo! :)
Ziet er gaaf uit, het hele spreuken gebeuren vind ik erg cool!
Ik heb nu even geen tijd om het goed door te lezen maar dat ga ik wel doen :o!
Copperarm
Event Master

Postby blazingeclipse » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:56 pm

Was al klaar met schoolwerk. Een van de voordelen van ADD is dat -als- de concentratie er is het ook wel rap gaat.

Dit is 2 uurtjes schrijven denk ik? Plots bouwen voor VA ging ook altijd zo hoor. Opeens een goed idee, en dan uurtje of 2 later uitgewerkt plot.
blazingeclipse
Heimr Demigod
Heimr Demigod

Postby Copperarm » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:59 pm

Jaloers!
Copperarm
Event Master

Postby nallath » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:22 pm

Nadeel is wel, tis er vaak niet als iets haastwerk is.
nallath
Heimr Demigod
Heimr Demigod

Postby blazingeclipse » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:28 pm

Ok, dit is een redelijk definitieve versie. Er zijn nog wat kleine dingen die getweaked moeten worden, en het mist nog een geschiedenis, maar deze is nog afhankelijk van mijn groepsgenoten.

Ik zou hem graag gekeurd hebben nu. Ik wil graag ook aanraden om het goed door te lezen, aangezien er noggal wat geschreven staat over spirits wat mogelijk conflicteerd of niet correct is.
blazingeclipse
Heimr Demigod
Heimr Demigod

Postby Midgard DM » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:20 am

Holy shit....

Ok, dit gaat een uitdaging worden om doorheen te worstelen. :D Als je het niet erg vind bewaar ik dit even voor het weekend. ><
When you see the word "realism" in any Heimr discussion, please substitute "internal consistency of imagined world such that it abides by its own laws both implied and explicit, including laws such as 'elves exist' and 'magic works.'"
Midgard DM
Game Master

Postby blazingeclipse » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:44 pm

Hey, wie zat hier nou te zijken over dattie een background wilde? Dit is toch een prachtstukkie tekst voor een duf moment op het werk of wat?
blazingeclipse
Heimr Demigod
Heimr Demigod

Postby Midgard DM » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:29 pm

I read half of them.

I must say I am impressed. This is exactly how I want shamans to be played around the VA rules. (check the complexity of characters discussion for exactly this description of a shamanic character. >< Great minds think alike I guess. :P) You also succeed in making your spirit non-pokomish, in my opinion.

I see no conflicts right now (but I haven't answered all the difficult questions Arjen asked my in the "how spirits and shamans work" topic), and I think Arjen should look at this as well, or I should answer these questions for him before we approve your character (although even if we don't I think only small changes should be needed because most if not all of these things could happen in Omakh's head as you stated).

I would like you to change some small things though (although you don't have to) for now:

- The young ogre could simply not be made to listen, and returned with his first spirit well before he was considered capable enough to be sent on a spirit quest.
-This synergy between tells stories to otters and Omakh is nearly unheard of in shamanistic circles

I think they are a tad mary sueish.
When you see the word "realism" in any Heimr discussion, please substitute "internal consistency of imagined world such that it abides by its own laws both implied and explicit, including laws such as 'elves exist' and 'magic works.'"
Midgard DM
Game Master

Postby blazingeclipse » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:08 pm

Both examples you use are a direct result of his inability to see the difference between the real and spirit world. I do not see how this could be illustrated in an interesting naritive without the mary sue-ish elements. True enough, the characterflaw might even be considered Mary sue as I don't think this is a very common defect among shamans. I should add that his former teacher still does not think he is ready to be a shaman (if ever at all) :P
blazingeclipse
Heimr Demigod
Heimr Demigod

Postby Wilco » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:58 pm

lol, ik ben ongeveer halverwege. Hier vast m'n feedback:

Brian en ik hebben het er over gehad dat je spirits niet kunt zien en er niet mee kunt spreken totdat je in the grey zit (middels een ritueel). Mogelijk dat we daar wel een uitzondering voor kunnen maken. Zoals je zelf ook aangeeft is dat niet gebruikelijk voor shamanen. Het zou een condition kunnen zijn, net als dat mages 'the spark' moeten hebben om magie te kunnen gebruiken.

Je banes vind ik erg gaaf. Zoiets had ik nog niet over nagedacht, maar ik denk dat dat zeker wel iets is om te doen. Weet niet of 'bane' daar een geschikt woord voor is, maar dat maakt voorlopig ff niet uit.
Ogres have layers. Standard HP + Body dev + heavy armor
Wilco
Lore Master

Postby blazingeclipse » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:42 pm

Ik ben het zeker niet eens met het woord bane, aangezien het niet iets is wat de geest doet ontploffen of schade doet zoals het in WoD het geval is bij spirits en deamons. Het is meer iets wat de geest niet tof vind. De spirits zijn redelijk polaire en statische wezen mits geloof in hun niet veranderd. Iemand die een connectie met een spirit heeft en dus iets staat te doen wat tegen de emoties/principes van de spirit ingaat schaad dus de connectie tussen spirit en shamaan. Tenminste, zo zie ik het. Technisch gezien zou je een spirit wel schade kunnen doen op deze manier, maar de spirit is hem alang gesmeerd voordat dit een issue word. Voor level 2 spreuken (welke het character nog niet heeft) zou ik dan ook adviseren om wat vervelendere banes te hebben, zoals daily tasks of wat indringendere restricties.

Jullie moeten even bedenken of het mogelijk is, maar anders kan het een geboorte deffect van de shamaan zijn. Een mutatie oid? Mogelijk een gevolg van primordeal flow die vernaait is in Utgard (iets met ogen ofzo?) Zoals al gezegd, ik heb niet heel veel lore om mee te werken, dus dan probeer ik het voor mij zelf logisch in te vullen.
blazingeclipse
Heimr Demigod
Heimr Demigod

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Character creation